Are you trying to convert an image to a JPEG format on your Mac but don’t know how to go about it? Fear not! Whether you have a PNG, TIFF, BMP, or any other type of image file, it’s quite easy to convert it to a JPEG using the tools that macOS provides.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you step-by-step through the process using both the built-in Preview application and an intuitive command-line method for more tech-savvy users.
Convert Image to JPG Using Preview
Preview is the default application for opening images on a Mac, and it provides a wide range of basic image editing and manipulation tools. Follow these steps to convert an image to a JPEG using Preview:
- Open the image in Preview: Locate the image file on your Mac, right-click on it, and select ‘Open With > Preview’.
- Open the ‘Export’ dialog: Once the image is open in Preview, go to the ‘File’ menu at the top of the screen and select ‘Export’.
- Select JPEG as the format: In the export dialog that pops up, you’ll see a ‘Format’ dropdown menu. Click on it and select ‘JPEG’.
- Set the quality: The export dialog also has a ‘Quality’ slider which you can adjust to set the balance between the file size and image quality. Once you’re satisfied, click ‘Save’.
- Choose a location: Choose where you want to save your new JPEG image, give it a name, and click ‘Save’.
Your image has now been converted to a JPEG!
Convert Image to JPG Using Command Line
If you’re comfortable using the Terminal, macOS’s command-line interface, you can convert an image to a JPEG with a single command. Here’s how:
- Open Terminal: You can find the Terminal application in the ‘Utilities’ folder within ‘Applications’, or you can search for it using Spotlight (Cmd+Space).
- Type the command: Use the following command to convert your image:
sips -s format jpeg /path/to/image --out /path/to/output.jpg. Replace
/path/to/imagewith the location and filename of your image, and
/path/to/output.jpgwith the location and name you want for your output file.
- Press Enter: After typing the command, press Enter to execute it.
Your image is now converted to JPEG!
As you can see, converting an image to a JPEG on a Mac is quite straightforward. Both methods mentioned here can be used based on your comfort level and the tools you prefer to use.
Remember, converting an image to a JPEG can result in a loss of quality due to the compression, so make sure to keep a backup of your original image file.