Keyboard brightness, often overlooked, is an essential feature that can considerably enhance your overall experience when using your Mac. It’s not just about visibility – adjusting keyboard brightness can significantly affect your laptop’s battery life too.
In this comprehensive guide, we’re going to dive deeper into how to adjust keyboard brightness on macOS. You’ll learn when and why you need to adjust it and how it can create a more comfortable and efficient work environment for you.
When to Adjust Keyboard Brightness
First, it’s essential to understand the right scenarios for adjusting keyboard brightness. Here are some instances where tweaking the keyboard illumination can be beneficial:
Work Environment Lighting
In dimly lit or dark environments, a brighter keyboard can be your best ally. It can make locating specific keys less cumbersome, reducing eye strain and increasing typing efficiency.
Power Consumption Considerations
Are you a digital nomad, working on the go? Battery life is likely a significant concern for you. Reducing your keyboard brightness can help conserve battery life, extending your productivity hours when a power outlet isn’t handy.
We all have unique work habits and comfort zones. Some people prefer a well-lit keyboard for an improved visual experience, while others prefer a dimly lit keyboard for a more subdued ambiance. Finding your sweet spot can improve your overall work experience.
Adjust Keyboard Brightness on Mac
Follow the steps given below to adjust the brightness of your Mac Keyboard.
- Click on the Apple menu in your screen’s top left corner.
- Select System Settings from the dropdown menu to open the settings window.
- On the left sidebar of the settings, scroll down and find the Keyboard section. Click on it to reveal all the keyboard-related options in the right panel.
- Against the Keyboard brightness option, drag the slider to adjust your desired level of brightness.
- You can also enable or disable automatic keyboard adjustment by toggling the switch button against Adjust keyboard brightness in low light option.
Troubleshooting Keyboard Brightness Issues
Despite following these steps, you may still encounter issues with adjusting keyboard brightness. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Restart your Mac: Many software glitches can be fixed with a simple reboot.
- Reset the System Management Controller (SMC): This can solve potential hardware-related issues. Refer to the official Apple guide on how to reset the SMC on your MacBook.
- Update your macOS: Ensure your system is up-to-date. Outdated software can sometimes cause issues with hardware functionality.
In this guide, we’ve given you a detailed explanation of adjusting keyboard brightness in macOS. You now have the knowledge to improve your working conditions and make your Mac more enjoyable to use.
In conclusion, keyboard brightness is a simple yet effective way to tailor your Mac to your needs, creating a more personalized user experience.